Sunday 1 March 2015

28th Feb 2015: Hubbard and Bell in The Hoxton, Holborn, London, UK

Approx 1:30pm-2pm
Hubbard and Bell in The Hoxton
199 - 206 High Holborn, London WC1V 7BW
http://www.hubbardandbell.com

I just so happened to walk past this pace on the way to the hairdressers. I had a spare half an hour, and so thought it'd be rude not to pop in for a sneaky cocktail.

The decor looked intriguing - very hipster-y with its sofa and armchairs, plus a cafe style eating area at the back. 

After researching this place, it seems to be concentrated as an Italian eatery. I would definitely like to go back to sample the food, as the place was packed out.

I sat at the bar, which was all wooden with a massive array of alcoholic beverages and syrups on display. It had a lovely atmosphere, and everyone seemed to be relaxed and happy.

The cocktail menu was a decent one - I am one for weird and wonderful ingredients in my cocktails, so this menu was good for me:


I decided to go with The Don Javier, which seemed right up my alley with its ingredients of Gran Centenario Plata, Del Maguey Vida, beets and horseradish shrub, and lime. 


The Don Javier was pretty in pink, and tasted absolutely delicious! It had a really woody taste and a sharp kick, with a smooth and creamy texture. It was topped off with a coriander leaf and a shake of pepper, which was a lovely touch. If you're one - like me - who likes to order cocktails not knowing how they're going to taste at all, this is a great one to order! How it looks and how it tastes are polar opposites - It looks so pretty, but it tastes so naughty!


I will also say that the service was very good. The bar staff were friendly and attentive, and took the time to explain all of the ingredients and the processes behind how they distilled their ingredients.

One small set back was that the place smelled a bit... welll... toilet-y. Other than that, the place was spot on! I'll definitely be back here to taste the food, as well as the rest of the cocktail menu.

ThymeTip: Well,this was a very quick visit, and I only tried one thing, so, I will recommend... The Don Javier!

Food: N/A
Drink: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Fun-ness: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment